Full Stack Developer (React/Python)
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2022
A BIT ABOUT US
GBatteries was founded eight years ago to tackle one of the world’s most pressing issues: the transition to a cleaner future through electrification. We are pioneering battery technology which enables ultra-fast charging of Li-ion batteries without compromising battery life — and without changing the battery’s chemistry or manufacturing process. Ultimately, our mission is to accelerate the mass adoption of electric vehicles.
We are working on some of the biggest challenges in energy storage, and are looking for the right people to join us as we develop our technology and continue to scale.
Note: this role is open for remote
THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE ROLE
As a Full Stack Developer on our Software Development team, you’ll be responsible for spearheading the development on core web applications tailored for our next generation battery test facilities to enable customers to cycle battery cells at scale. In our small but growing engineering organization, you’ll not only be developing and shipping new features but also designing core aspects of GBatteries’ testing and data analysis product.
You'll work collaboratively with our Data Science team to deploy machine learning models into a production environment, and with our Firmware team to collect and warehouse high speed data from embedded devices. You’ll become familiar with all parts of our stack, and be responsible for projects covering all aspects of the software development life cycle. You will exercise judgment in making trade-offs between design and feasibility. As a developer on our close-knit, cross-functional team, you’ll be an active voice in shaping our products.
You’ll join a small but growing software team where everyone—including you—is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of infrastructure, systems, and cares about creating dependable products. While we are still growing and have plenty to do, we are incredibility supportive of each other and pitch in to support our peers when problems arise.
THE ENGINEERING CULTURE
· Autonomy: There's no red tape on what technology frameworks you can use, or what language you should be coding in. We believe in using the best tool(s) for the job, and learning any new ones along the way.
· Scope: You won't be adding small features to a monolithic codebase; you will be building entire products from start to finish. Your team members will recognize you for the products you build and the impact these products have on their workflow. You will have the opportunity to identify the business needs for a particular product, work through the development life cycle, and interact with your customers directly.
· Interesting Problems: Much of what we do is in uncharted territories. As a result, we are often posed with interesting and challenging engineering problems, which will encourage you to prototype, iterate, and innovate. It's part of the company culture to encourage crazy ideas, and celebrate failures as learning opportunities. Many of the design problems you will encounter won't have answers on Google or Stack Overflow, they will encourage you to come up with unique approaches and strengthen your design thinking.
· Growth: Working at a start-up is a great way to supercharge your skillset, and accelerate your learning. You will be put in a fast-paced environment where you're always working at the bleeding edge of technology. Not only will you become a better developer, you will also be given the opportunity to grow within the company as we scale.
THE TECH STACK
- Web Development: React.js, FastAPI
- Data Warehousing: PostgreSQL, S3, Redshift, DynamoDB
- DevOps: Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Terraform
THE SKILL SET
- 2+ years industry experience in an equivalent role
- Strong proficiency in Python
- Experience with a Python web server framework or library (Flask, FastAPI, Django, or similar)
- Experience with configuration and infrastructure as code tools (Ansible, Terraform, Helm or similar)
- Familiar with fundamentals of Kubernetes
- Basic understanding of fundamental UI/UX design practice, mockups, asset creation, etc. using tools such as Figma or similar
- Experience with Chart.js is a plus
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
- Work with the team to implement key features in our in-house testing platform, which is built with Python and React.js
- Become familiar with our vertically integrated technology stack and get a high-level understanding of the projects the team is working on and how they fit in with the company’s goals
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Begin development on your own project which is a web application which allows for near-real-time analysis of telemetry data from embedded devices
- Provide an initial release of your project, interact with the customer directly to receive feedback, and identify the next key features
Learn the deployment process and develop a release pipeline for your project
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Work with our software team to build an initial release of a test platform to accompany our next generation battery test systems
- Work with our VP of Engineering to design mockups, views, and design how the customer will interact with the test platform software
- Own the front-end design and development, including mockups, asset creation, development in React.js, and building out the required API’s
WHAT WE OFFER
We are working on many exciting projects towards our ultimate goal of breaking down the final barrier preventing the adoption of electric vehicles; range anxiety. We’re a growing company working with some of the largest manufacturers in the world, and there’s still a huge amount to do. You’ll be able to see the impact of your work from day one, and have the opportunity to see the final effect on real world products. We encourage unconventional thinking, and seek resilient problem solvers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
Of course, we also offer other great benefits:
Inclusive parking, full dental and health coverage, a renovated and spacious office, fridge and pantry filled with drinks and snacks, and regular weekly social events. We’re conveniently located near the 417 highway with easy access via major public transit routes, right beside a small park and an assortment of shops and restaurants.
During the pandemic, we are operating remote-by-default.
HOW TO APPLY
Is the idea of enabling the global mass adoption of electric vehicles exciting to you? We’d love to hear from you! To apply please include a short message addressed to Henry Rearden within the application below; no cover letter necessary. If you have any questions, or just want to say hello, feel free to reach out to Vlad Belov on LinkedIn.
We particularly value diversity, and we know that experience comes in many forms. If your unique experience is close to what we’re looking for, please still consider applying.
See more open positions at GBatteries
Something looks off?