Software Development Student - - 8 Month Winter Term (Open
Worker Sub-Type:Student (Fixed Term)
Today, BlackBerry® is a transformed company. We’re no longer about the smartphone, what we once did for smartphones is what we’re now doing for Enterprise of Things (EoT) – envisioning, enabling and securing new forms of communication that are connecting the business world in extraordinary new ways. We have the most complete and advanced end-to-end solutions to enable EoT, and our ideas lead the way in the hottest markets like cybersecurity, SaaS, neural networks and autonomous vehicles.
Today our software is trusted by the world’s most important organizations, including all of the G7, 16 of the G20, NATO, financial firms, healthcare providers and educational institutions. BlackBerry technology is further embedded in millions of ‘things.’ You can find BlackBerry in smart watches, medical devices, cars, trains, robots, smart meters, TV broadcast equipment, wind turbines, hydroelectric plants, pilot training simulators, mail-sorting machines and, of course, tablets and smartphones just to name a few.
The BlackBerry IoT Business Unit combines BlackBerry’s core IoT assets across the company, including the BTS (QNX, Jarvis, Certicom, Radar) and BlackBerry IVY, which is an edge-first secure and intelligent in-vehicle data platform that provides automakers with cloud-controlled access to vehicle data in order to produce insights through machine learning and share insights consistently with a global digital ecosystem of developers to deliver actionable value on vehicle data at scale. The BlackBerry IVY Engineering organization is focused on developing and delivering on this vision of BlackBerry IVY through delivery of software and services that will be used by vehicle OEMs and also the broader development community worldwide.
Our team is looking for a Software Development Student. The successful candidate will work towards the common goal of identifying, exploring and creating new features to ensure BlackBerry is on the cutting edge of automotive innovation.
Location: Mississauga, ON
Length of Term: 8 Months
What you will do
- Work in a cross-functional team that is responsible for developing the core platform of the next generation of BlackBerry software.
- Help develop new software while adding feature(s) to the IVY platform, improving the IVY developer experience, and extending IVY’s customer facing tooling.
- Collaborate with other team members, brainstorm design ideas, provide feedback on investigations, prototypes and code reviews, and implement building blocks that will become the foundation of upcoming BlackBerry releases.
- Contribute to demos and wiki pages to help drive knowledge sharing and innovation with other teams.
Who we are looking for
- Currently enrolled in a Computer Science, Engineering program or related discipline at the intermediate level.
- Strong investigation, prototyping, design and programming skills.
- Programming experience in one or more of C, C++, Python, and Java.
- Worked with one or more of: Linux, QEMU, MacOS, Android, Windows, VMWare, Gerrit/Git, JIRA, Confluence, and Agile Scrum.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Curious attitude and self-starter with strong interpersonal and innovative skills.
- Strong aptitude for troubleshooting and problem solving with a keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively in a team as well as independently.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment with excellent time management and organization skills.
Above and beyond
- Knowledge of (or interest in) automotive, IoT, firmware, data analytics, machine learning, cloud computing, and security.
- Previous experience with AWS, Docker, Thrift, Kubernetes, TensorFlow, QNX.
- Comfortable with UNIX environment and scripting.
Student Life at Blackberry
- Growth Mindset: employees have access to skills training and professional development courses, mentorship programs as well as unlimited access to our on-demand learning platform.
- Commitment to Wellness: employees have access to events that support physical, mental and financial wellness. We host wellness sessions, fitness courses, discounts to local gyms and offer a 24/7 Employee Assistant Program (EAP).
- Highly collaborative teams and a supportive workplace environment, with organization-wide events and a student social committee.
- Employee Perks: we have snack and beverage programs at all locations. Students also have access to discounts for local stores, transportation, restaurants and activities.
See more about the student program at BlackBerry over on our Instagram @BlackBerryStudentLife
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40